Nepal Company Act
November 20, 2023 By Pjay Shrestha

Expanding Your Business to Nepal: A Foreign Investor's Guide


Nepal, strategically positioned between economic giants India and China, offers an array of opportunities for foreign investors. The country's evolving legal frameworks, such as the Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer Act (FITTA), have been instrumental in creating a conducive environment for foreign direct investment (FDI). However, navigating the Nepalese market demands a comprehensive understanding of its regulatory landscape, investment procedures, and business culture.

Understanding Nepal’s Business Environment

The Nepalese economy presents potential benefits due to its location between two significant markets, India and China. This geographic advantage enables access to these substantial markets, particularly for products made in Nepal. The country has witnessed reforms aimed at encouraging FDI, but challenges like unpredictable market conditions and bureaucratic hurdles exist.

Legal Framework for FDI

The FITTA, along with the Public Private Partnership and Investment Act, governs FDI in Nepal. The FITTA requires foreign investors to bring in 70% of their proposed investment before starting operations and the remaining 30% within two years. The minimum capital requirement for foreign entities is NPR 20 million (approximately USD 155,000).

Company Registration Process

Registering a company in Nepal involves choosing a unique company name, submitting necessary documents, paying registration fees, and obtaining a Certificate of Incorporation. Post-registration requirements include acquiring a PAN Card, registering for VAT and PAN, and opening a bank account.

Benefits of Registering a Company in Nepal

Registered companies in Nepal enjoy legal protection, limited liability, access to government contracts and subsidies, and the ability to secure loans and open bank accounts.

Challenges to Consider

Foreign investors should be prepared for challenges such as acquiring necessary documents, navigating a lengthy registration process, and bureaucratic hurdles.


Investing in Nepal offers significant opportunities, especially for those willing to navigate its regulatory environment and leverage its strategic location. While the process involves various legal and bureaucratic steps, the benefits of accessing a growing market and establishing a foothold in South Asia are substantial. As Nepal continues to reform its investment policies, the landscape is expected to become increasingly favourable for foreign businesses. 


Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice, advertisement, personal communication, solicitation or inducement of any sort from the firm or any of its members. The firm shall not be liable for consequences arising out of any action undertaken by any person relying on the information provided herein.

About Author

Related Posts

Submit Your Comment